• A coffin without a corpse... Crammed with millions in cash!
• Supremely atmospheric Ennio Morricone score to a lesser known, but nonetheless stylish and satisfying Sergio Corbucci production; a cross between a Spaghetti Western and a wild west road movie, indeed, a fine example of a film that combines both Italian and American western film traditions.
• Joseph Cotten - the Mercury Theatre veteran renowned for his performance alongside Orson Welles in Citizen Kane - leads the murderous "Hellbenders", a dissolute family regiment who ambush and massacre a convoy of union soldiers transporting a million dollars, seizing the money that Jonas dreams of using to help re-ignite the confederate cause.
• After the savage opening, the film settles into an engaging sequence of scenes exploring tensions within the group and depicting the numerous challenges the Hellbenders encounter as they progress slowly through hostile territory back toward New Mexico and home; Federal soldiers, Mexican bandits, a tribe of vengeful indians and a psychotic beggar, ("respect the dead, I don't even respect the living").
• To evade detection, The Hellbenders conceal the stolen money within the coffin of a fallen Southern officer. Along the way hire a beautiful gambler (Brazilian Actress, singer, sex symbol Norma Bengell) to pose as Mrs. Ambrose Allen, the supposed wife of the supposed dead man.
• Il Maestro's soundtrack is an impressive conglomeration of mournful trumpets, nervous guitars and percussive, sometimes atonal atmosphere pieces which establish a suitably tense mood. Alessandro Alessandroni's I Cantori Moderni decorate the score with their characteristically eclectic vocal flourishes.
• Alongside his friend, Sergio Leone, Corbucci pioneered the Spaghetti Western genre with thirteen features; marvellous cinema like The Big Silence and the notoriously bloody Django, which preceded Crudeli by just months.
ABOUT ENNIO MORRICONE:
• Ennio Morricone is surely one of the greatest composers of the twentieth century. During a long and prolific career he has created music for more than five hundred films and television series. In working with Italian spaghetti western directors Sergio Leone, Duccio Tessari and Sergio Corbucci, he did nothing less than re-write the language of film music. It is impossible to imagine the genre without his contribution. He is to Sergio Leone, what Nino Rota is to Federico Fellini or Bernard Herrmann to Alfred Hitchcock.
• Il Maestro has written for every conceivable genre, collaborating, along the way, with Scorsese, Tarantino, Almodovar, Bertolucci, Pasolini, horror master Dario Argento, and many others.
NB: This title is released 9th March 2015 and will not be dispatched until this date.
1. I CRUDELI
2. PRIMA DELL'ASSALTO
3. UN MONUMENTO
4. MINACCIOSAMENTE LONTANO
5. LA CONGIURA
6. DOPO LA CONGIURA
7. I CRUDELI (# 2)
8. ATTESA DEL NULLA
1. UN MONUMENTO (# 2)
2. SECONDA CONGIURA
3. I CRUDELI (the widow)
4. LA CONGIURA (# 2)
5. UN MONUMENTO (# 3)
6. I CRUDELI (# 3)
7. LA CONGIURA (# 3)
8. I CRUDELI (# 4)
9. UN MONUMENTO (# 4)