Cherry Red imprint Grapefruit is proud to announce the release in June of the 3CD various artists anthology Dust On The Nettles: a journey through the British underground folk scene 1967-1972.
With 63 tracks and a total running time of just under four hours, Dust On The Nettles examines the metamorphosis that British folk underwent during the late 1960s, when the influence of psychedelia and the counterculture saw the idiom being twisted into all kinds of new and exotic shapes, as the finger-in-the-ear folk clubs of yore were inexorably drawn into a brave new world of Arts Labs, free festivals and the nascent college/university circuit.
Our anthology incorporates the various overlapping strands of the underground folk scene: the acid folk experimenters, the folklorists and trad song updaters, the more metaphysical element of the burgeoning singer/songwriter genre, the newly-electric folk rockers, the elemental paganism exemplified by Comus and The Wicker Man, even the early 1970s Jesus music movement that spawned the likes of the sitar-wielding Parchment.
Balancing the familiar with the obscure, we feature acknowledged brand leaders like Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band, Pentangle and Steeleye Span alongside acts who made music purely for the local communities that nurtured them: Shide & Acorn on the Isle of Wight, Folkal Point in Bristol, Music Box in Coventry, Chrissie Quayle in Cornwall. We incorporate a large number of recordings that weren’t issued at the time, sample impossibly rare albums by the likes of Oberon, Dry Heart and Benjamin Delaney Lion, and feature key recordings from a number of bands who underpinned the thriving live scene of the era.
Housed in a clambox featuring a lavishly illustrated and annotated 36-page booklet, the painstakingly-assembled Dust On The Nettles is surely the most comprehensive and wide-ranging anthology to appear thus far of the UK underground hippie folk movement of the late 1960s/early 1970s.
1. LET NO MAN STEAL YOUR THYME – The Pentangle
2. WILLOW’S SONG (FROM THE WICKER MAN) - Magnet
3. COME ALL YOU TRAVELLERS - Wight
4. LOVE IS A FUNNY THING - Spirogyra
5. IMAGES OF PASSING CLOUDS – Gary Farr
6. PEEK STRANGELY AND WORRIED EVENING - Synanthesia
7. GLASS OF WATER – Bob & Carole Pegg
8. WINTER IS BLUE – Vashti Bunyan
9. WINTER IS A COLOURED BIRD - Comus
10. THE SEAGULLS SCREAM – Chrissie Quayle
11. STORIES OF JESUS – Clive Palmer
12. AMANDA - Steve Peregrin Took’s Shagrat
13. CURIOUS CRYSTALS OF UNUSUAL PURITY - Bridget St. John
14. ROSES FOR COLUMBUS – Mark Fry
15. TILL THE MORNING COMES – Dando Shaft
16. BLACK GIRL – Mary-Anne
17. THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY - Trees
18. WEIRDSONG OF BREAKING THROUGH AT LAST - Principal Edwards Magic Theatre
19. MINAS TIRITH – Oberon
20. PRISONERS, VICTIMS, STRANGERS, FRIENDS – Paper Bubble
1. PILGRIM – Gerald Moore
2. RIVER LANE – Melton Constable
3. WAY OUT HERMIT - Moonkyte
4. ALL THINGS ARE QUITE SILENT – Steeleye Span
5. UPON REFLECTION - Heron
6. LOVE IS COME AGAIN - Parchment
7. STARGAZER – Shelagh McDonald
8. THERE ARE NO GREATER HEROES - Tony Caro & John
9. VISIONARY MOUNTAINS – Joan Armatrading
10. GLOW OF THE FIRELIGHT - Tuesday
11. SEARCHING FOR LAMBS – Warm Gold
12. SAMANTHA CAROL FRAGMENTS - Benjamin Delaney Lion
13. FOTHERINGAY – Fairport Convention
14. YOU KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE – Frozen Tear
15. MEANWHILE BACK IN THE FOREST - Hunt Lunt & Cunningham
16. FIRST GIRL I LOVED - The Incredible String Band
17. HALFDAN’S DAUGHTER – The Moths
18. THE MUTANT – Trader Horne
19. MEETING BY THE MOONLIGHT MILL – Dry Heart
20. HIGHWAYS (MISTY MIST) - Tyrannosaurus Rex
21. GABILAN – Duncan Browne
22. SAND ALL YELLOW – Kevin Coyne
1. GARDEN SONG – Bill Fay
2. MUSIC OF THE AGES - C.O.B.
3. A SONG FOR THE SYSTEM – Everyone Involved
4. THE COLOUR IS BLUE – Country Sun
5. SILENT VILLAGE – Wild Country
6. WELCOME TO THE CITADEL – Marc Brierley
7. THE EVIL VENUS TREE - The Occasional Word
8. STANDING ON THE SHORE – Anne Briggs
9. KIND SIR - Agincourt
10. EAGLE – Mick Softly
11. ROSEMARY HILL – Fresh Maggots
12. THE HAPPY KING – Music Box
13. ME AND MY KITE - Fuchsia
14. WIZARD SHEP - The Sun Also Rises
15. SCARBOROUGH FAIR – Folkal Point
16. PRISONER – Marie Celeste
17. PATRICE – Simon Finn
18. GIRL OF THE COSMOS – Shide & Acorn
19. ELEGY TO A DEAD KING - Chimera
20. SILENCE RETURNS - Beau
21. ORANGE DAYS AND PURPLE NIGHTS – Mother Nature
Our Price: £17.99
TRACK LIST AS ABOVE
Book A Trip (The Psych Pop Sounds Of Capitol Records)
Now Sounds raids the Capitol Records vaults in
Hollywood for late- 60s Psychedelic Pop/Soft Pop obscurities and unearths a
treasure trove of first time- on-CD gems.
Productions by the likes of David Axelrod
collide with arrangements by Leon Russell and compositions by David Gates, Neil
Young, and many others, proving why Capitol Records was the undisputed leader
of pop during this pivotal era.
ALL original Capitol singles, circa 1966 1969,
are sourced from Original Master Tapes. Some are presented here in Stereo for
the first time ever! The 24-page, full-colour booklet also includes rare,
unpublished photos and extensive track-by-track liner notes that feature the
participation of many original band members, arrangers, and producers.
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more
The Eve Folk Recordings
• The sound recordings made by writers/producers Geoff Stephens and Peter Eden under their banner Eve Folk Recordings, all released during 1965.
• Riding the crest of the Folk Boom in Britain with their discovery and launch of Donovan at the start of 1965, Stephens and Eden scored a 3 LP production deal with EMI. This resulted in the albums by Mick Softley, Vernon Haddock’s Jubilee Lovelies (leader Dave Elvin started in jams with Viv Stanshall) , Bob Davenport & The Rakes (legendary Northumbrian traditional singer) – all ‘names’ on the Folk scene in different ways.
• The recordings have been brought together and the full interlocking story told for the first time. The Bob Davenport and Vernon Haddock recordings are also on CD for the first time.
• Extras include the Donovan recordings of Mick Softley’s songs Goldwatch Blues and The War Drags On, released before Softley’s own versions. Plus Softley’s follow up single I’m So Confused produced by Eden and Stephens.
• Also heard for the first time in nearly 50 years are the two recordings Bob Davenport recorded for the EFDSS Folksound album, another release through EMI in mid 1965.
• Geoff,Peter and Bob have contributed extensively to the booklet essay, written by Bert Jansch biographer and 60’s Brit Folk chronicler Colin Harper.
• This is a true treasure trove of Brit Folk from the time it boomed in Britain.
Please Note: This title is released November 17 and will not be dispatched before this date.
1. CATCH THE WIND (SINGLE VERSION)
2. COLOURS (SINGLE VERSION)
3. GOLDWATCH BLUES
4. THE WAR DRAGS ON
5. AFTER THE WORLD WAR IS OVER (OR HOW I LEARNT TO LIVE WITHOUT MYSELF)
6. THE BELLS OF RHYMNEY
7. STRANGE FRUIT
8. BLUES FOR CUPID GREEN
9. ALL I WANT IS A CHANCE
10. THE WAR DRAGS ON
11. KEEP MOVIN' ON JEANNIE
12. WHAT MAKES THE WIND TO BLOW
13. I'VE GOTTA DEAL YOU CAN'T TURN DOWN
14. WEST COUNTRY GIRL
15. PLAINS OF THE BUFFALO
16. I'M SO CONFUSED
17. SHE'S MY GIRL
VERNON HADDOCK’S JUBILEE LOVELIES
1. CONEY ISLAND WASHBOARD
2. DON'T LET YOUR DEAL GO DOWN
4. COLOURED ARTISTOCRACY
5. MANDY , MAKE UP YOUR MIND
7. VIOLA LEE BLUES
10. LITTLE WHITE WASHED CHIMNEY
11. I WISH I COULD SHIMMY LIKE MY SISTER KATE
BOB DAVENPORT & THE RAKES
12. WILLIAM BROWN
13. THE FOGGY DEW
15. MY BONNIE LAD
16. WAKE UP,MY LOVE
17. NEW YORK GALS
18. THE SOLDIER AND HIS TRUE LOVE
19. RAP HER TO BANK
20. SANDGATE GIRLS LAMENT
21. THE HEXAMSHIRE LASS
23. OLD JOHNNY BOOKER
24. GATESHEAD TOWN
25. DOWN THE GLEN
26. THE WHITE COCKADE
27. THE SHEPHERD’S LIFE
Our Price: £10.95
click to see more